• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 19:49:06 pm

News:

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks

The Potting Shed

Started by Tâf, August 09, 2011, 12:13:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tâf

The chilli plants in the greenhouse have gone to sleep. So I have them a hard prune, dusted the cuts with cinnamon and covered that in Blue Tack. I also tipped the pots on their sides and scraped off the top layer of packed sharp sand. Hopefully that'll get rid of most of any aphid eggs. A dusting with diatomaceous earth should shred any that hatch. The best JMOA Scotch Bonnet plant is in a fleece bag in the downstairs loo to see if it'll over-winter that way. After a light clean of the greenhouse, I moved the Giant Peruvian Rocoto inside with only 3 undersized pods falling off.

Tâf

Planted 60 mixed tulips, 10 hyacinth and 20 crocus that a kind neighbour found for me. Very late, but the ground still thinks it's autumn.

Lobelia and Campanula are still in flower out there!  :o

Tâf

Potted an Aronia and Quince that I had air-layered. The roots formed were abundant.

Also shoved Blackcurrant prunings into pots to form new plants for several neighbours.

fred

Gym?  Thought you said Gin.

Tâf

Crocuses up, bluebells and tulips have showed their noses.

Flowers on the Rosemary....

Nana of 8

The flat downstairs has daffodils in the front garden. They are out, not only the tete a tete which are early, but larger ones too. My tulips are half-grown and my mid-season daffs will be in flower in a week. Pussy willow is flowering, the catkins on the hazel have dropped off a month early, and there are celandines in flower by the river banks. Everything is about a month early.
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Tâf

Pruned the blackcurrants and jasmine between downpours.

Tâf

Pruned the blackberries, goji, redcurrants and grapevine. Very late but the weather has been holding me back.

Tâf

All the chillies and tomatoes have sprouted, so they are now out of the heated propagator and under lights in the living room.

Potatoes into trays to chit in the greenhouse.

Tâf

Cut up all the prunings for a burn this evening.

That meant I could mow the lawn for the first time this year. I had to empty the mower SEVEN times instead of the usual TWO.  :o

Tâf

April 14, 2020, 17:41:53 pm #745 Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 20:46:11 pm by Tâf
All 4 cherries are losing their blooms, so fingers crossed for good pollination.

The Quince is starting to flower, but the new maiden won't this year so no cross pollination possible.

The remaining Blueberry is flowering, I need to buy another.

Rhubarb all sent up flower spikes so I chopped them off.

The Kiwis and Grapevine are sprouting leaves.

The Redcurrant and Blackcurrant cuttings are all in leaf AND flower  :o

The chillies and tomatoes are relaxing under lamps in the living room, with the toms being well ahead. I really need to source rebar to grow them up this year as they get so heavy.

Dug up loads of leeks for this evening.

fred

killed a couple of trees

Tâf

The tomatoes grew too big to stay indoors so I moved them into the greenhouse a couple of days ago. And now I have repotted them.

I also found some peat pots that have been hiding for years, so I sowed Alderman peas then Lady Di and Isabel climbing French beans.

The catmint has sprouted in the kitchen, so I'd better shift it before the cats find it.

I have flower buds on the Kiwi I grew from seed. Now to hope it's a female plant and not a male.

Some leeks have shown rust, and a bit of bolting, so they need to be harvested ASAP.

The bluebells are already going over as it's been so dry.

The Aronia bush is now about 12ft wide and covered in flower bunches.

fred

must kill off the regrowth on the trees I killed

Tâf

Planted out 7 mini roses that our nice neighbour brought me from Sainsburys.