Author Topic: Algerian Couscous  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Tāf

• Instigator of the Compost Holocaust
  • Resident Twaddler
  • Press 1 for Winter weather.....
Algerian Couscous
« on: October 26, 2007, 19:11:10 PM »
Colour cubes of lamb or mutton, plus chicken thigh or breast meat in olive oil in a large casserole.

Add Ras el Hanout spice mix (or mild curry powder) and stir to coat meat and get the flavours going. Don't let it catch!

Add a can of chopped tomatoes, diced onion, garlic, carrot, turnip, courgette (zucchini), chick peas (canned usually) broad beans (canned usually) and cover with water. You may also add chicken stock or lamb stock.

Simmer until the meat is tender (a couple of hours simmering should do it)

Forget all the hoohah about cooking couscous grains, just half fill a microwaveable bowl with the dry grains add salt and a dash of olive oil, Stir to coat the grains, then cover with enough water to just cover the grains, After 2 minutes break it all up with a fork, nuke until warmed through, refluff with a fork, then nuke again just before serving.

For those that like chilli heat, add a whole chilli at the start of cooking, just split it lengthways.

For those who have to cater for non chilli-headz, you can add Harissa sauce at the table (chilli paste in a tube) or add couscarissa (chilli powder, paprika, garlic powder, coriander powder and a dash of salt) to a half cup of the sauce. Nuke it to warm through and pour as you dare!

This loves a rough red wine.....

Ozish Girl

Re: Algerian Couscous
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 19:12:49 PM »
Drool.

Thanks!

Offline Tāf

• Resident Twaddler
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 15:19:57 PM »
It is traditionally served with spicey lamb sausage called Merguez, but I've yet to find decent Merguez outside of France  :-\

The Morrocan and Tunisian versions are spiced more with cinnamon, cardoman and cloves... not really to my liking... and they put dried fruit in it  :-X
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 15:21:36 PM by Taf »

Offline Tāf

• Resident Twaddler

Ozish Girl

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 19:29:05 PM »
Harissa is very yummy, I'd eat it with just about anything given the opportunity.  However, If I don't want to blast through an entire box of tissues in less than 24 hours, it requires either avoiding it or massive amounts of Benadryl. :'(