• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 19, 2024, 07:47:30 am

News:

ALL HAIL QUEEN IZZY!!! :queen: 

The Potting Shed

Started by Tâf, August 09, 2011, 12:13:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tâf

Peppers, chillis, toms and cucumbers all fed as they are fruiting like mad now.

Neighbours tell me that mine are the only toms still alive after the blight came through. Yay for Koralik!!

Blackberries ready for another harvest, raspberries ripening... it could be a glut. I've got ripe blueberries too! I bought 2 more blueberry plants to pot up into large planters.

The only Stevia plant is growing well now. I pinched out the tip to encourage sideshoots, and was amazed how sweet the tip was.

Pumpkins out the back have babies.  :D

Strawberries are really nice this year, but some fruits are going black then rotting.... probably due to the rain.

Grapes are swelling!! Leeks have all sat up straight after replanting. Mongolian Giant sunflower is about to flower.

Tâf

Gave the garden its summer feed of fertilisers. With this rain I expect it to go mad.....

Tâf

2 very lush blueberry plants potted-on to large patio pots.

Due to the forecast high winds tomorrow night, I have been around the garden batteniong down the hatches... and nomming raspberries...

dogsmum

Quote from: Taf on September 10, 2011, 16:17:58 pm
2 very lush blueberry plants potted-on to large patio pots.

Due to the forecast high winds tomorrow night, I have been around the garden batteniong down the hatches... and nomming raspberries...

Yeah, due to the forecast I brought my Strelitzia in today, trouble is it's got so damn big I dunno where to put it now :-\
Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart
rather than a piece of our mind.

Tâf

Keep at 10c or above, and it'll survive OK.

Or move somewhere warm and take it with you  ;)

dogsmum

Quote from: Taf on September 11, 2011, 11:31:43 am
Keep at 10c or above, and it'll survive OK.

Or move somewhere warm and take it with you  ;)

Well it usually comes indoors through the Winter, but it'll soon need a room of it's own :-\

Tâf

Had to tie-in the tallest (12ft) sunflower again after the wind knocked it over. Ditto 2 cucumber plants.

Fitted a hammock for one of the pumpkins (about a foot diameter now) as it's growing UP the fence!

Nommed raspberries, strawberries and blackberries.

Loads of big chillis in the chilliarium close to fully ripe. Some are bright yellow and I don't remeber planting those!

Sweet peppers are almost fully red too, and the Razzamatazz chillis have gone from purple to red already.

The Chinese cabbages don't look very happy. All the ends of their leaves have dried up.  :-\

Loads more string beans to collect, but I'll leave that job for tomorrow.

dogsmum

Oh I found something growing in one of my pots the other day, didn't know what it was so left it there.
It's a Sun Flower, about a foot tall now. Birds must have planted it as I didn't

Tâf

They do that, so do squirrels and magpies.

dogsmum

Tâf

I do too, especially when they gang up and terrorise the local birds, cats, dogs and people!

Catapult comes in handy tough....

dogsmum

Quote from: Taf on September 15, 2011, 10:01:01 am
I do too, especially when they gang up and terrorise the local birds, cats, dogs and people!

Catapult comes in handy tough....

They've also been pecking at my shed so much they've gone through the black stuff & almost through the wooden roof! >:(
Hmmm that's something else I gotta do, find out how much it'll cost to replace the roof as I don't think it would withstand the Winter :(

Tâf

Thye did the same to mine too, so I laid a layer or featheredge strips over it to stop them.

dogsmum

Quotefeatheredge strips

???

Tâf

September 17, 2011, 10:27:33 am #14 Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:30:04 am by Taf
It's 4 inch wide strips of treated wood with a thin and a thick edge, normally used for fencing.

I just attached 4 battens to the existing roof, then annular-nailed the featheredge to it.

You can overlap it to make a fairly watertight joint, but as I had bitumen-painted the roof covering, it's watertight already.