• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 16:17:46 pm

News:

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

The Potting Shed

Started by Tâf, August 09, 2011, 12:13:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tâf

31 chilli seedlings potted on into sterilised seed compost and put under lamps. 1 loss due to helmet head.

The bulk are now under two 20W (100W equiv) CFL daylight lamps, the weedier latecomers are under a 9W (100W equiv) LED daylight lamp with the propagator cover still on.

Tâf

One of several Giant Peruvian Rocoto chillies still not fully ripe in the greenhouse... but at least they survived the winter... so far..

El

Daffodils are now out. Saw a dandelion on the fields.
Got a problem.....greenhouse and most of back garden now gone and so my dog bow only has access to a circular planted area in front garden. Nearly all paved cos of wheelchair access.
Our Mill is now constantly peeing on the last bit of garden we have and she is destroying it  :'(. It used to have fuscia. . Rosemary. .sage and mother's rose that I transplanted from her garden and grew really happily. Now only have a sprig of rosemary and a bit of mother's rose.
Dog will have to pee here so any suggestions for tubs?

Tâf

With tubs it's always "bigger is better". Good drainage with some crocks (I now use packing peanut foam).

Multi-season pots are nice (snowdrops or crocus, then daffs, then tulips, followed by summer bulbs).  They just need the occasional feed, so are good for a few years. And you don't have to protect them in winter. The trouble is they are best potted in the autumn.

Tâf

Hopefully the garden waste bin will be emptied tomorrow so that I have bin space for all the prunings I am going to have. I'll be emptying most of the strawberry pots into the bin too as they are over 3 years old.

Tâf

April 23, 2018, 15:51:11 pm #680 Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 16:19:02 pm by Tâf
Sown last Thursday, and the Alyssum is already up. The Verve (B&Q) seed compost set like concrete in the hot sunshine, but I've got it moist and soft now. The other seedlings should appear soon (Trailing Lobelia, Mini Nasturtium, Violas, Mesembryanthemum, Lavender and Sweetcorn).

No tomatoes again this year. The local allotments had ZERO ripe fruits last year due to Blight.  :-(

Transplanted 2 ferns that appeared last year in strawberry pots last year to the front garden, plus a Campanula the missus bought and was dying on the kitchen window.

The nights are still too cool for the chillies to go out into the greenhouse. 2 overwintered Giant Peruvian Rocoto chilli plants have come back to life, but all the others seem to have snuffed it. I just gave them a final soak, if they don't sprout they are binned.

In the garden , the Daffodils and Crocuses have gone, but the Tulips and Bluebells are in flower. Loads of flower too on the Rosemary, and buds forming on the Aronia and Quince. The Quince is going to be (hopefully) fertilised by an electric toothbrush this year.

The Lavender hedge is sprouting but it looks a bit weak, so I've sown seed I collected from it last year as replacements. I collected the original seed from plants I found near La Gorge du Verdun in the south of France.

Gooseberries, Redcurrants and Blackcurrants are doing well, but I dropped the 2 biggest Blackberries down to a foot as they were getting unruly. I may get fruit from this year, but it's debatable.

The Kiwi and Grape vines are still waiting for a bit of heat, but the Rhubarbs are already flower.

All my strawberries are being replaced this year, except for the runners that appeared in gravel near the compost bins. I've loads of Frau Schindler runners, plus another variety is ready to repot after growing from seed in the living room.

The hacked Bay Laurel is starting to show leaf buds too, they are as tough as old boots.

The first plant in full leaf was the Goji. It's getting massive!

Because of Rust, I thought I had dug up all the Garlic, but dozens have appeared and need to be transplanted to make way for this year's crop of Sweetcorn. I wanted a couple of Courgettes, but the only packs I've found have 40 seeds!

Tâf

Most of the overwintered chillies snuffed it, so their pots are now being emptied ready for this year's crop.

Tâf

138 volunteer garlic plants transplanted, and more that treble that composted.

If rust gets them it's no great loss.

Some of the bulbs were over a foot deep!

Tâf

The greenhouse minmax thermometer hasn't shown a drop below 12c this past week, so out went the chillies. All but a few spares in case of a disaster.

Tâf

All the seeds are up apart from the Lavender which always needs a bit of heat.

Sowed Catmint and Coriander, covered the compost of the chillies with Perlite.

I've moved the Winter Box to the front garden, just need to dig a big hole and plant it now.

Tâf

More Frau Schindler strawberry runners transplanted.

Tâf

Edged the lawn along the path, saving the bits in seed trays for transplanting into bare patches later after scarifying.

Tâf

19 strawberry planters emptied, 13 cleaned and sterilised, then 26 plants planted.

A mix of Frau Schindler and 4 from my mate for pollination.

Did a bit of tidying and pruning to fill the green bin.

A third of my Rosemary bush was stone dead, more on that elsewhere.  >:(

Tâf

Sweetcorn in the raised bed now, and loads of flowers transplanted for the missus.

More strawberries planted to, including one called Jumbo that I got for £2 in Morrisons.

All that is left is the cucumbers and courgettes, but they'll need another fortnight before they are ready to go out.

Bugger-all snails or slugs this year.  HOORAY!

Tâf

The snails have arrived, and many have met their maker.

I have planted the last of the strawberry runners. All those that wanted some have decided not to this year. ???

Moving the chilli plants about as they grow and get too close to the glazing.

Hardening off the cucumbers and courgette plants.

The sweetcorn is romping away.

I had to remove the 15 year old Kiwi vine as it died. I'm hoping it was the cold winter and not pests or disease.

All mesembryanthemums look like they are having a hard time, but they might still romp away.

Hopeless gooseberry crop this year, but the redcurrants are amassed with fruits.

Only a few quince fruits again this year, all the other flowers fell off.