• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 17:41:27 pm

News:

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

The Potting Shed

Started by Tâf, August 09, 2011, 12:13:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

El

The small area of land left after the extension was a bloody mess compared to how my garden was .
It's only about 30ft by 8ft and up some steps. It's not been looked at since last August and was driving me insane.
A massive Elder tree is there and although beautiful now, it's going to shed right into the shower and sink drains in Autumn. There is a dead conifer and the empty house my garden backs onto has gone wild with twiny branches overtaking.
My grandson had took down a lot of the elder but had left me with the branches all over.
Anyhow just organised a total clear of it next week. Tree felled. Bushes cut and membrane laid.
My choice now is......slate. ...gravel or artificial grass. I want it as easy care for as possible. I'll put pots for colour on the walls
Which would you have?

Tâf

June 06, 2018, 17:06:11 pm #691 Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 17:07:25 pm by Tâf
Slate can be sharp, and slippery. Artificial grass is a PITA especially with a dog about. I opted for pea gravel as it forms a compact surface, and you can plant through the membrane. I've got clumps of Campanula and Aubretia that look nice in ours. Near the top of the steps, set some pea gravel in mortar about a foot wide. That should reduce pebbles getting kicked onto the steps and making a slipping hazard.

Wall pots seem to have almost vanished (Health and Safety I think), but only titchy ones can be found now. And they need a constant watering regime in the summer. So long deep planters would be a better idea IMHO, with spring bulbs, summer bulbs and then perennials in them.

El

Thanks. The dog won't go in that area cos she is not allowed up the steps. The long planters will be a good idea because we have this stainless barricade thing now (health and safety ) so they can butt onto those.
Not thought of pea gravel so that a good option and there is room to set some in concrete.
At first I thought I would only use it for pegging washing out. But actually I could get a fair bit grown in pots  :D
Hold me back......a lean to greenhouse  :D

El

It won't let me post the pics on here

Tâf

Quote from: El on June 06, 2018, 18:02:08 pm
It won't let me post the pics on here

Me neither, it's been like that for ages, and Lisa knows about it.

A lean-to is a great idea.   ;D

Tâf

I planted out the courgettes yesterday, 3 hours later Monty Don said it was time to do so.  ;)

The cucumbers are being planted today, I got the sticks in place just before sunset yesterday.

Tâf

Cucumbers planted.

No sign of molluscs on the courgettes.  ;D

Tâf

Remove all the dead and overgrown bits of the gojis.

Tâf

Moved the chilli pots downwards as they were touching the glazing.

Potted a Spiderplant for the bathroom.

Potted a dead mint that ASDA gave me for free "We can't sell that!"

Tâf

Sowed Campanula. I've never had any luck starting them in soil, so it's grodan cubes in a propagator indoors.

Tâf

The Campanula have sprouted! Such tiny seedlings... less than 2mm high with 1mm leaves and stems thinner than hair.

I cleared the front troughs and sowed a mix of seed I got from Poundworld today for 80p. And Summer Bluebell bulbs planted under the Jasmine either side of the front door.

Tâf

The Deutzia has finished flowering so it's had it's summer prune, allowing more light onto the trough I planted seeds in yesterday.

Tâf

Both Blueberry plants are showing signs of ripening their berries. The local Blackbirds have noticed too, so I have covered the plants with horti fleece.

And the high UV levels are causing havoc with my chilllies in the greenhouse, so the rest of the horti fleece is now in use as shading.

Tâf

Trimmed the grapevines and Kiwi vines.

Tâf

Picked the first courgettes, well 3 were courgettes, the others were courges.... a tad too big...

Cucumbers almost ready to pick too.