• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:16 am

News:

Don't listen to what I say; listen to what I mean.

The Potting Shed

Started by Tâf, August 09, 2011, 12:13:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa

♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ For once in your lifetime will you, do what you want not what you have to. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Tâf

The males normally sprout first to reduce self-pollination.

Lisa

OK. I've only got one surviving courgette plant. It's this going to be a problem
♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ For once in your lifetime will you, do what you want not what you have to. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Tâf

Not usually, like cucumber you can get all-female plants, and they manage to fruit. Just remember to use tomato feed when the first fruit starts to swell..... and be read to water a lot and often.

Are you growing it upwards or on the ground?

Lisa

Tâf

Mark where the plant is in the ground with a stick. That is where you have to water and feed it. They can grow so quickly that you can lose sight of that place.

Lisa

It's the only thing there?

Tâf

You'll be surprised at how big they can get and you lose orientation.

It's not too late to start more from seed.

Tâf

Trimmed the grapevines and blackberries. Hacked back next door's ivy that is coming over the wall.

Tâf

Planted out some African Marigolds, spuds to earth up later.

Tâf

The new neighbours opposite had a huge, tangled tree that flowered but that was it.

I identified it as a damson, and gave it a really hard prune last autumn. 4 green bins full!

Now they have a massive glut of fruits, and I emailed them a recipe for jam.

Tâf

Pinned and potted 25 strawberry runners. Loads more to do today.

The grapes are swelling, the blackberries are being harvested almost daily, as are the stringless and French climbing beans.

Chillies are setting and swelling quickly now.

The greenhouse and outdoor toms are fruiting faster than we can eat them.

Tâf

I pulled out the mini-morning glories and exposed loads of shallots and bluebells sprouting. Clearing the long planters out front will require secateurs as the plants have huge root systems.

Tâf

I did a lot of pruning of blackcurrants and jasmine. About 50 blackcurrant cuttings have been potted to get more plants for neighbours.

Tâf

The first day of Spring, so I shall be sowing tomatoes and chillies to start their lives in the living room.

A mate gave me tomato seed to start off for him as he is hopeless at it.