• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 14:12:46 pm

News:

Total Twaddle: 2 days without a human rights violation.

The Potting Shed

Started by Tâf, August 09, 2011, 12:13:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dogsmum

Quote from: Taf on September 17, 2011, 10:27:33 am
It's 4 inch wide strips of treated wood with a thin and a thick edge, normally used for fencing.

I just attached 4 battens to the existing roof, then annular-nailed the featheredge to it.

You can overlap it to make a fairly watertight joint, but as I had bitumen-painted the roof covering, it's watertight already.

Ahhh. But what's annular-nailed?
Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart
rather than a piece of our mind.

Tâf

They used to be called Terrier Nails as they have rings around the shaft that make them harder to pull out. Featheredge is thin so will try to warp and pull nails out, so you need something with good grip.

http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/83431.jpg

dogsmum

Quote from: Taf on September 18, 2011, 13:50:06 pm
They used to be called Terrier Nails as they have rings around the shaft that make them harder to pull out. Featheredge is thin so will try to warp and pull nails out, so you need something with good grip.

http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/83431.jpg

Ohhh never seen one of those before

Tâf

September 23, 2011, 17:07:25 pm #18 Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 17:08:32 pm by Taf
The courgettes have finished in the compost pile, so I just folded up the foliage and bunged compost on top.

Chopped the lavender hedge down to 1ft... it'll either regrow or be replaced.

I noticed the rhubarbs are all dying down for winter so I'll have to get some mulch to top them off and provide a feed for Spring (if we ever get Spring again).

The blackberries are almost over, so what's left will be pruned back hard. The beans are on their last legs too, so what is left will provide seed for next year.

So many raspberries still!

It was so nice to work outside in relative warmth from the sun...

dogsmum

Spring bulbs are showing through!

Tâf

I can beat that, one of the apple trees is in blossom again!

dogsmum

Quote from: Taf on September 24, 2011, 09:42:05 am
I can beat that, one of the apple trees is in blossom again!

:o
The world's going to pot!

Tâf

One of the daisies is in flower for the second time this year too!

Tâf

Several strawberry hanging baskets relined (I find pond liner protector felt to be the best after many years' failures).

Many strawberry runners repotted, all the other plants were given a total haircut.

I am eating grapes off the vine like sweeties.. they are small, but very numerous!

dogsmum

Bloke over the back from me gave me some Chinese Onions, he said his mate had given him some but that he'd never grown them before. So we've both planted them. Then I googled them, it said that they won't stand frost in one sentence but then in another it said that you can plant them late Autumn for early harvest the following year :-\

Tâf

Do you mean Japanese onion sets? They are treated so they get sprouting now and will grow slowly over winter to give an earlier crop next year... it's what I use all the time.

dogsmum

Quote from: Taf on October 02, 2011, 12:06:45 pm
Do you mean Japanese onion sets? They are treated so they get sprouting now and will grow slowly over winter to give an earlier crop next year... it's what I use all the time.

Hmmm could be. They're small & white, if that's anything to by

Tâf

Nana of 8

I'm planning to trim back the plants for winter today. The lavender has to have the chop - anyone know if you can compost it?

Climbing plants to prune and tie in; trees to prune; everything that flowers to be dead-headed, as well as clearing out the annuals that are now past their best.  :-\

Lawn to mow. Pots to be sorted, watered and the houseplants to be brought in from the coming frosts...  A bit odd given it's been over 28c for the past 6 days, but still.... :sigh: Winter's coming.....!
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Tâf

Lavender is best chopped before composting, I use the lawnmower for the smaller pieces. I do keep a bagfull of lavender trimmings for the BBQ fire too....