News:

You've been Beambled!!!!

Main Menu

The Potting Shed

Started by Tâf, August 09, 2011, 11:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tâf

I realised this morning that the aronia, gojis, redcurrants and blackcurrants have not flowered this year... they are normally full of swelling fruit by now ???

The gooseberries are ready to pick already though ???

Tâf

4 pumpkin (New England) plants set out in the raised bed. I'll train them up strings to the top of the fence and let them run wild up there.

All the Kiwi flowers have now faded, and hundreds of fruits are swelling. Grape flowers about to open. Come on sunny weather!!!

fred

None of the runner bean seeds germinated, even in the greenhouse
Gym?  Thought you said Gin.

Tâf

Bought compost? I reckon there are still sales going on of that poisoned batch from last year.

Try a few beans in the old Biology class method.... a tube of card/blotting paper in a jamjar/glass?

fred

same bag as last year.  They're marginal here anyway and it's been chilly

Tâf

I always start my beans off with a bit of heat and fairly dry compost. I tried a new "water retentive" seed compost for the first time this year... it stayed claggy and rotted a few beans, so I learned to keep it really on the tip of dry.

Chrysanthemums (Cockade) planted out in the front beds after clearing the finished poppies. I added a good mulch of homemade compost too... the ground was getting a bit dead.

dogsmum

Dug my Garlic up today, pleased with the size of most of them. Got them drying in the Mini Greenhouse
Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart
rather than a piece of our mind.

Tâf

Mine are struggling this year again.

dogsmum

Quote from: Taf on July 02, 2012, 09:40:57 AM
Mine are struggling this year again.

I've never grown them before, so well pleased with what I have. Time will tell as to how strong they are though, will let you know

Tâf

The time honoured method is to plant them BEFORE frost (November around here) so that the bulb plate splits and you get individual cloves forming. But the ground froze solid too early last winter, so I was late getting them in. That means I may have one-clove bulbs.

dogsmum

Quote from: Taf on July 03, 2012, 08:48:46 AM
The time honoured method is to plant them BEFORE frost (November around here) so that the bulb plate splits and you get individual cloves forming. But the ground froze solid too early last winter, so I was late getting them in. That means I may have one-clove bulbs.

Planted mine in October. It was only a bulb I bought in Asda's ;D

Tâf

I has a cucumber!

I fact I has 16 cucumbers....  :-\

fred

Quote from: Taf on July 04, 2012, 18:09:38 PM
I has a cucumber!

I fact I has 16 cucumbers....  :-\

stop boasting ;)

Tâf

Cucumbers make me gassy  :-X

I shall not eat one in the greenhouse for fear of blowing the windows out. :taf:

Gok Wan showed how the Chinese eat cucumbers... they dip them in sugar. ???

dogsmum

Quote from: Taf on July 04, 2012, 18:23:43 PM

Gok Wan showed how the Chinese eat cucmbers... they dip them in sugar. ???

Don't know why, but that's the only way Mum could eat tomato's