News:

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Main Menu

The Potting Shed

Started by Tâf, August 09, 2011, 11:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tâf

Tomatoes were always called "the sour fruit" before they got bred to be sweeter. The first really sweet tomato I tasted was from a local Italian's garden in the 60's.

Nana of 8

I love tomatoes dipped in sugar!! They taste similar to strawberries. :D
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Tâf

Sweet Peppers (Romano), Chillis (Paper Lantern) and mini Cucumbers (Picolino) moved to their final pots and position in the greenhouse.

Repotted Basil, Parsley and Coriander.

Moved most of the Tomatoes (Koralik) outside to finish hardening off and planted a few in pots and in the upside-down hanger pot. Also moved out the last of the Butternut Squashes (Hercules) and the bigger Physalis outside.

The Yard Long Beans have been put in their final pots too, they have to stay in the greenhouse as they are sub-tropical in nature. I hope they aren't too rampant!!

The Naga chillis are being really slow, they are only 2 inches high now!

The Stevia plants and Catmint had a good haircut, cuttings kept for drying.

It started off quite pleasant in the greenhouse, but I suddenly realised I was sweating... the temperature had shot up from 22c to 38c!!  :o

The beans outside have FINALLY decided to start climbing the sticks, I just hope I can kill off as many slugs as possible to give them a chance.

Picked the gooseberries, big, fat and very sweet, and showed the missus how to make jam. Only 2 1lb jars this year, but it is very nice.

Nana of 8

Oooohh! I love gooseberries and gooseberry jam!  :D
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

dogsmum

Quote from: Nanaof3 on July 10, 2012, 10:54:10 AM
Oooohh! I love gooseberries and gooseberry jam!  :D

Sounds like you got a buyer 'Taf', if you make any more ;D
Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart
rather than a piece of our mind.

Tâf

I'd like to have more Gooseberry bushes, but they are "too spikey" for the missus, so I'm only allowed 3 in large pots tucked away.

Nana of 8

My ex grew gooseberries in his allotment. Some  :dislike: :rant: :swear: stole the lot....every year for 3 years! Eventually, he dug them up, potted them and brought them home.
Queen Ebayer

Tâf

More sunflowers and tomatoes planted outside. There is space in the greenhouse!

dogsmum

QUESTION

Why don't slugs & snails eat the weeds that keep appearing in my garden ??? >:(

Tâf

It is one of the great mysteries of life DM. I once allowed masses of weeds to grow around treasured plants... they only ate the treasured plants.  :-\

dogsmum

Quote from: Tâf on July 14, 2012, 10:02:35 AM
It is one of the great mysteries of life DM. I once allowed masses of weeds to grow around treasured plants... they only ate the treasured plants.  :-\

Hmmmm thanks 'Taf'

Tâf

An old man locally used to "bruise" dandelion leaves, and they were then attacked by slugs. I've never tried it though... I don't have dandelions!

Tâf

I raised some Sweetie Toms for a mate, and he didn't want them all, so I've just planted 4 in tubs in the greenhouse. They MAY be blightproof, so we'll wait and see.

3 people who wanted tomato plants off me have now decided they aren't going to bother this year due to the weather. Therefore I shall grow some outside myself and let them see the results.

dogsmum

Quote from: Tâf on July 15, 2012, 11:00:01 AM
An old man locally used to "bruise" dandelion leaves, and they were then attacked by slugs. I've never tried it though... I don't have dandelions!

No I don't have any either.

Does anyone see Hedgehogs around any more ???
I haven't seen any for years :-\

Tâf

No hedgehogs here either, and only one fox does the rounds.