• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 11:20:09 am

News:

I drank what? - Socrates

The Potting Shed

Started by Tâf, August 09, 2011, 12:13:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nana of 8

Garden woke up today. Crocuses now flowering. Daffs growing and some buds peeping through. Antirrhinums in bud. Roses shooting - gave them a final prune. Raked the lawn and chucked down the last of last year's mosskiller (well, we're moving; I'm not going to go mad out there!).

Potted up the last of the plants I want to take with us (a clematis and some phormiums... need to try to get a yellow phormium out of the front garden but will wait until Weds when HoN can help - it's huge and I can't dig it up by myself - it needs separating out).
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Tâf

Kiwis and grapevines given a severe haircut. Raspberries and Tayberries too. Then a sweep up and the first haircut of the season for the lawn.

A minor repair needed for the compost bins before I jump up and down on them to compres it all so that the lids can close (after it all gets soggy with much-needed rain that's coming later today).

Nana of 8

Tidied the garden....swept up excess dead leaves, pruned late-Summer flowering shrubs, potted up some bluebells to take to the new place (it's a tradition - my late ex-mother-in-law gave me some from her garden 30 years ago, and every time I've moved I've potted up some to plant in the new garden). There are now 6, about to be 7, gardens with English Bluebells in them (provided the owners haven't dug them up! But I planted them in the shade, under trees, so hopefully not). :)

Haven't mowed the lawn yet - the temperature only rose above 7c last weekend!  Mower ready to go, though!  ;)
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Lisa

ooo I'd quite like some bluebells to go with my lavender and heather.
♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ For once in your lifetime will you, do what you want not what you have to. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Tâf

Try to get English Bluebells (flowers down one side of the stem only).

Lisa

need to work out where to stick them first
♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ For once in your lifetime will you, do what you want not what you have to. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

dogsmum

I've got English Bluebells.

Lots of crocus & snowdrops flowering.
My first daff of the year just opened today
Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart
rather than a piece of our mind.

Tâf

Quote from: Lisa on March 06, 2013, 18:56:04 pm
need to work out where to stick them first

Beside your steps would be nice. They multiply quickly and become quite big clumps.

Nana of 8

Finished tidying the garden prior to our move. All we'll need to do now is mow the lawn (if it ever gets warm enough to grow!!).

Rubbish tip run yesterday - took all the garden waste down there, as well as some waste metal (stuff from the garden shed and the broken rotary washing line). It was quiet - they are currently rebuilding our local tip and most residents have no idea where the temporary one is!

::)
Queen Ebayer

Tâf

Nagas and Lobelia sown and put into the heated propagator.

Tâf

Nagas and Lobelia have sprouted a few days now, so they now get 12 hour stints with the grolight until they are big enough to transplant. Too cold on the window ledges and in the greenhouse to start anything else.  :-\

Some daffs are nearly finished flowering, but loads of others are only now starting to bud... it'll be a long season this year.

The Quince has popped it's leaves open. Fruit next please!!!

6 varieties of spud are chitting nicely. They'll be my main root crop this year as I expect slugs and snails to be rampant again.

dogsmum

I only have 2 daffs in flower, lots still tight buds

Tâf

The first day of reasonable gardening weather. All the potted plants have been given a soak, and now the digging is about to begin so the chitted spuds can be put out at last.

The missus is overjoyed that the garden hose has been reconnected now that hard frosts should be rare.

Tâf

Both long raised beds double-dug and 7 varieties of potatos planted out. I had to move some garlic and leeks, but they won't mind.

It was lovely out there with the first real warmth of the year under blue sky.

dogsmum

Quote from: Tâf on April 06, 2013, 12:23:13 pm

The missus is overjoyed that the garden hose has been reconnected now that hard frosts should be rare.

Why is she excited about the hose being reconnected ???