• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:19:46 pm

News:

Politicians are like nappies. They both need changing regularly, and for the same reason.

The Potting Shed

Started by Tâf, August 09, 2011, 12:13:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tâf

Picked over 2lbs of good Bay leaves from the prunings from the other day. They take a while to get dry and develop that special flavour. All the rest got binned as it won't compost for years.

Tâf

Sowed Alpine strawbs and Cayenne chillis that my neighbour gave me. He also gave me more onions... so 550 sets have to find a home or turn into mini-pickled onions...

Tâf

I gave away the onion sets at the local garden allotments.

Pricked out 2 trays of Spinach seedlings, then planted out the rest of the garlic and shallots.

Sowed 3 pots of herbs for the kitchen windowsill.

dogsmum

I bought 12 Snapdragon Carnival Mix, 12 Verbena Starry Eyes Mix & 12 Begonia Chilli Chocolate Mix for £12 today
Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart
rather than a piece of our mind.

Tâf

A lot of outlets selling plants have taken a knock this yeat DM. They produced them far too early for the weather we've been having. Hence loads of bargains online and in the garden centres.

I started earthing up the spuds above ground level now, using bags of spent compost.

Nana of 8

Quote from: Tâf on May 16, 2013, 12:44:21 pm
Picked over 2lbs of good Bay leaves from the prunings from the other day. They take a while to get dry and develop that special flavour. All the rest got binned as it won't compost for years.

Worth remembering - our new garden has a large bay tree! Thanks Taf! :thumbsup:
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Tâf

Make sure, absolutely sure, that it is a Bay and not a Laurel. Laurel is poisonous.

If you hang a Bay branch in the pantry, it keeps bugs "at bay" whilst it dries and develops full flavour... hence the name.

I dried a load of leaves to make Bay Rum hair dressing / aftershave... it smells divine...

dogsmum

Bought another 3 tray's each with 12 plant's today as I was running out of plants for the amount of planters I have
I got Upright Lobelia Moonlight Mix, Marigold Safari Mix & Petunia Summer Romance Mix today

Tâf

Spuds earthed-up a bit more and radishes sown between the rows as a catch-crop.

Tâf

Thyme sown. I plan on dotting it all around the garden.

Tâf

Stocks pricked-out, basil repotted, more carrots sown outside in a bit of spare space in a trough. Beetroot in modules are all up, as are most of the chilis and toms. The beans are really romping away. They may need to go out earlier than planned.

Cherries are swelling!  ;D

Tâf

Sowed loads of Coriander in a large pot on the patio. It makes a nice show of flowers that bees and hoverflies love.... then loads more seed for next year!

Tâf

June 01, 2013, 19:07:16 pm #327 Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 19:09:01 pm by Tâf
Loads of bean planted out, loads of beans given away.

Toms and Cucumbers repotted.

Picolino mini cucumbers put in their final pots in the greenhouse.

Greenhouse tidied, lots of plants moved to the chilliarium which acts as a cold frame with it's doors slightly ajar.

First Rose on 1st June!

dogsmum

Tâf

Quote from: dogsmum on June 01, 2013, 22:39:50 pm
Quote from: Tâf on June 01, 2013, 19:07:16 pm

First Rose on 1st June!

Mine are still tight buds

Never mind, you'll be out of your training bra before you know it DM.  :laugh: