• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 13:16:34 pm

News:

I do not know what weapons World War III will be fought with, but I do know that World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones ~ Albert Einstein

The Potting Shed

Started by Tâf, August 09, 2011, 12:13:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tâf

Yellow crocuses are opening enjoying the sunshine.  :D

dogsmum

Quote from: Tâf on January 19, 2015, 12:12:30 pm
Yellow crocuses are opening enjoying the sunshine.  :D

I only have the one, Bertie dug up & ate just about all my bulbs when I first had him. And it is said that they are poisonous to dogs, not to this dog!
Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart
rather than a piece of our mind.

Tâf

fred

spotted the first open daftodill
Gym?  Thought you said Gin.

dogsmum

The frost killed my first crocus but there is another one in bud, also got 2 snowdrops in bud
Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart
rather than a piece of our mind.

Nana of 8

Not seen any flowers round here yet. Primroses are in bud already (well, they are in our garden!) but no crocuses or daffs yet. The irises and grape hyacinths have gone mad with a green leaf growth spurt, but no flowers as yet.

On the positive side, the echiums i planted last spring are now looking healthy in the summerhouse, and I'll plant them in the garden in May in the hope they flower this year. My mother gave me some for our last house and they grow huge - about 8' tall with fantastic purple flower spikes, so I'm glad these have survived.
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

fred

Gym?  Thought you said Gin.

Tâf

I bought 3 types of seed spud yesterday. Half price because HQ thinks they were sent out too early. Set them to chit for planting next month.

Home Bargains has coir compost blocks at stupidly low prices (10ltr 69p, 50ltr £1.79) so I'm off to get some.

Tâf

First sowing of the year:
Chupetinha
Habaneros
Cayenne
Piment d'Espelette
Anaheim
Jalapeno
+
Honeyberry (Edible Blue Honeysuckle)
Half of each soaked in tea as a trial, all in 50:50 coir:perlite.

Tâf

Quote from: Tâf on January 29, 2015, 10:33:27 amHome Bargains has coir compost blocks at stupidly low prices (10ltr 69p, 50ltr £1.79) so I'm off to get some.

I came home the first day with 300 litres worth, the next day I came home with 600 litres worth.

Pocket money all gone  :'(

The Goji bush has sprouted leaves!!  :o

Tâf

Chopped off the Kiwi branches against the wall. The side on the shed will fruit this year, the wall side will grow back to fruit next year.

Tâf

Leaf buds opened on my Aronia bush, Quince tree, Jasmine, Blueberries, Roses, Deutzias, Blackcurrants, Blackberries, Gooseberries, Redcurrants, Raspberries, Rhubarb, Gojis and Clematis!

Pruned the Grapevine, Raspberries, Roses and one half of the Kiwi vine.

Next job is to turn the soil ready for the first of the spuds.

Nana of 8

The weather was warm enough to feed the koi yesterday.
The crocuses are dying down, the daffodils are out and the bluebells are sprouting very healthy green leaves.
The fig buds are swelling, the roses are shooting and our selection of saplings are at various stages of growth. All survived! :D
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Tâf

Quote from: Nanaof4 on March 08, 2015, 15:21:22 pm

Do you start them on wheatgerm Nana?

Nana of 8

Quote from: Tâf on March 08, 2015, 16:23:15 pm
Quote from: Nanaof4 on March 08, 2015, 15:21:22 pm

Do you start them on wheatgerm Nana?

No idea what you are supposed to do - I chuck koi food in and they eat it... still alive after 2 years so must be ok...
Queen Ebayer