• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:43:44 am

News:

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

The Potting Shed

Started by Tâf, August 09, 2011, 12:13:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tâf

Put in posts and wires to hold back the blackcurrants. Tied-in the clematis as it's too early for pruning.

dogsmum

Yayyyy I have 2 daffodils in flower & 6 in bud  :D I did have dozens of them, but Bertie dug up & ate the rest of the bulbs  >:(
Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart
rather than a piece of our mind.

Tâf

April 04, 2015, 15:37:53 pm #512 Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:01:59 pm by Tâf
First lawn cut and edge of the year.

Tâf

Cleared a trough for the missus to plant her bulbs and corms. Started tidying a bit more, but it's a long job. I've made plans for a temporary (1 of 2 year) compost bin pair. I'll replace them with a concrete one one day if I get the spare cash.

Cleaned the fishpond filter and got the pump running. The fish are active, but the water is still well below 10c, so no feeding just yet. Next I have to change a third of the water. Luckily both waterbutts are full.

The Honeyberry seeds failed for the second time. I'm getting a full refund and  the vendor sent me a lovely email apologising for the poor seed. So that means 2 beds that will just be flowers this year.

Tâf

Dwarf and giant sunflowers sown, also some seeds from a fat chilli I found on the floor of the greenhouse (Prairie Fire). Cosmos seeds that I was given to start off are sown too. All the chillies pricked-out and transplanted. Replanted mint, alpine strawberries. Tidied-up the sprouting overwintered chillies.

Spuds ready to go in once I've dug the raised beds. Next job will be climbing French beans and Alderman peas (that climb to 6ft).

fred

Last Wed. I was tasked with getting 5 tomato plants.  I told dad that the usual source would not have any of the type he wanted for two weeks.  He said he'd get some on Fri (today) Yesterday I went to a more distant source and got the plants he wanted.  I took them to him only to find that he'd bought ten plants.  :D

His plan A was buying in batches to spread out the production.  Never wroks as in an unheated greenhouse the early lot just exists until the temp is high enough to grow.
Gym?  Thought you said Gin.

Tâf

Went into the greenhouse to check on the overwintered chillies.... somehow ended-up sowing 80 Cobra climbing French beans, 80 Blue Lake climbing French beans and 80 Alderman climbing peas. Then as I was in the mood, I sowed 2 beds full of wild flowers, and also planted out the Oriental poppies I grew from seed overwinter and several Frau Schindler strawberry plants.

Tâf

Raised-beds dug and 80 spud tubers planted: Charlotte, King Edward, Maris Piper and Red Duke of York.

Tâf

Wildflower seeds chucked all over the place in any bare spot I could get a hoe into.

Tâf

Strawbs, gooseberries and currants all flowering, so I just gave them all a feed.

Soaked where the spuds are about to emerge as this wind is so drying.

Had to soak the beds where the wildflowers were sown as they are starting to emerge too.

The first bean is awake in the greenhouse.

Repotted a mini rose for the missus.

The Pepito melon has survived the winter in the greenhouse, so I gave that a little drink too, as well as the chillies that have resprouted.

As I was out I gave the Kiwi a feed too as it is almost about to open its flowers. Bloody hundreds again!

The flowers on the quince and aronia are about to open.

Nana of 8

Quote from: Tâf on April 17, 2015, 17:12:24 pm
Had to soak the beds where the wildflowers were sown as they are starting to emerge too.

That was quick!!  :o That little bit of heat this week must have given them a boost!

Planted out a couple of climbers into the pots by the front door - honeysuckle and clematis.

Potted up a third - Virginia creeper - to plant out later in the spring once we decide where to put it!

Loads of tulips in flower now - a really cheery mix of yellow and red :D
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Tâf

April 19, 2015, 11:16:45 am #521 Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:18:28 am by Tâf
Virginia creeper will turn into a monster.  ;)

The last daff is about to be dead-headed. The Tulips and Dicentra are flowering now.

The Aronia and Quince are about to open their flowers... hundreds of them.  :D

The first beans and sunflowers have popped-up in the greenhouse, plus the Cosmos in a bucket.

The chilli seedlings I moved into the greenhouse are not very happy. I think I've lost most of them, but they were spares anyway.

I may pick the forced rhubarb today.

Nana of 8

All the Spring flowers are in bloom - bluebells, tulips, clematis, etc.

The Virginia Creeper is going NOWHERE near the house... we'll let it scramble over the garage instead! ;D
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Tâf

I saw a 2m fence that was snapped off at the base by Virginia Creeper. They can get heavy.

The spuds still haven't popped-up, except for one or two that I missed in a pot.

The quince is saturated in flower.

Bluebells have been great for a week already. They are popping up in bunches where I didn't plant them.

Gooseberries are swelling.

Peas and beans are growing well, nearly time to snip off their growing tips.

dogsmum

No sign of my Bluebells flowering yet
Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart
rather than a piece of our mind.