• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 18:44:25 pm

News:

Silence is golden.  Duct tape is silver.

The Potting Shed

Started by Tâf, August 09, 2011, 12:13:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tâf

Fed all the garden except the lawn. I don't want it all lush just yet.

Tâf

The chillies are all doing well. I may soon run out of space.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tâf

Sowed 80 modules of Tagetes.

Nana of 8

Feeling overjoyed... HoN has finally started removing the vile astroturf in the garden! Taking it all to the tip tomorrow. Then laying brick boundaries before replacing it with slate chips an a cottage garden!  :D
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Tâf

2 trays of Tagetes (Marigolds) have nearly all sprouted in the greenhouse. 6 pots of chillies have sent out leaves after being dormant all winter. It's still to cold to repot the chillies from the living room, and they have already run out of space.  :-\

I trimmed the old leaves off the Passionflower plants in the greenhouse.

Outside, the garlic and onions are doing well, and he kiwis are almost ready to flower. The Quince already is, fingers crossed for fruits this year.

Tâf

2 of the 3 Picota cherries repotted in the garden. They should shoot up now.

Tâf

Half the chilli seedlings have been hardened off a bit, so they are now in the greenhouse unless a deep frost appears.

Nana of 8

Quote from: Tâf on April 30, 2016, 15:04:35 pm

Where did you get picota cherry trees? I love those!  :D
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Tâf

Quote from: Nanaof5 on May 09, 2016, 00:54:24 am
Quote from: Tâf on April 30, 2016, 15:04:35 pm

Where did you get picota cherry trees? I love those!  :D

I just planted the pips from ones I bought in Tesco. They sprouted within a month.

Nana of 8

Ooh! Will give that a go this year then! Ta!
Queen Ebayer

Tâf

Planted out some Campanula, filled a mini-trough that Pol built for me, applied weedkiller to the first Dandelions and Horsetails coming from next door, picked off flower buds from the chilli plants (they are too young and small to raise babies) and gave the cistern another coat of paint.

Ian

Anyone know how to get rid of fungus gnats?  I lost two chili plants to them last year, and I'm keen not to repeat the experience.
HPBG!

Tâf

Quote from: Ian on May 12, 2016, 16:47:09 pm
   Anyone know how to get rid of fungus gnats?  I lost two chili plants to them last year, and I'm keen not to repeat the experience.

Yellow sticky traps for the flies, and diatomaceous earth (it shreds the larvae). Plus never top-water apart from the one time when you repot them to get the compost bedded-in around the roots.  Loads of my chilli-mates have had problems this year as many commercial composts come loaded with them. I nuke small bags of compost in the microwave to kill them off. You just have to get it above 80c (lightly steaming).

I made and fitted mylar covers for my Morrisons pots last evening. They keep the sciarid flies out, but also scare away aphids.

Tâf

Ian

Quote from: Tâf on May 13, 2016, 10:19:23 am
Yellow sticky traps for the flies, and diatomaceous earth (it shreds the larvae). Plus never top-water apart from the one time when you repot them to get the compost bedded-in around the roots.  Loads of my chilli-mates have had problems this year as many commercial composts come loaded with them. I nuke small bags of compost in the microwave to kill them off. You just have to get it above 80c (lightly steaming).

I made and fitted mylar covers for my Morrisons pots last evening. They keep the sciarid flies out, but also scare away aphids.

Cheers, mate.  I tend to get compost from the local pound shop, (It's close to me, and thus more convenient) so nuking it sounds a good option.  The bloody things love Bhut Jolokias.
HPBG!