Author Topic: UK Fruit disaster Year?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Tāf

• Instigator of the Compost Holocaust
  • Resident Twaddler
  • Press 1 for Winter weather.....
UK Fruit disaster Year?
« on: July 28, 2012, 15:03:19 PM »
The local Garden Allotment chairman came around doing his usual survey of how local gardens and allotments are doing.

He's the person that usually spreads the word about potato and tomato blight occurrence in the area, plus any warnings of other diseases or pests.

As expected, my spuds being hit by blight was all over the local area, ditto poor growth on beans and peas.

But he also confirmed that not a single fruit has appeared any any apple, pear, cherry or plum tree. The first time he can remember since the early 60's after really bad winters.

He's going to contact other areas further afield to see how widespread this is, but the first couple he contacted gave the same results.

Bees were seen pollinating them, the weather has been poor, but maybe it's something else?

Offline Nana of 8

• Mother of some little breeders ;)
  • Non Stop Talker
  • Vaccinated with a Gramophone Needle
Re: UK Fruit disaster Year?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 08:28:32 AM »
Plenty of apples on our tree. Mind you, it's a crab apple. The cherry crop round here was ok, just a bit late - they are in the shops now (locally, we have the red/yellow variety, which are loads sweeter than the dark ones :D ) - a month later than usual.

The chillis are doing well.

The potatoes I'm not sure about - I'm waiting for them to flower and they haven't, yet. Hoping they will be ok - they are the blue ones. Strawberries still fruiting.

Maybe everything's just delayed a bit?  :-\
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Offline Ian

• Handy Additional Storage Heathen
  • At One With Twaddle
Re: UK Fruit disaster Year?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:08:27 AM »
  Isn't it obvious, Taf?  The man who called at your door, is a fruit murderer!
HPBG!