• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
 
September 23, 2020, 05:51:39 am

News:

Beam did it!!!


What's the best potato for....

Started by Tâf, November 19, 2012, 17:49:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tâf


Lisa

I just do whatever I'm going to do with whatever spuds I have.
Can't afford to be fussy!
♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ For once in your lifetime will you, do what you want not what you have to. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

K@

Jane prefers Maris Piper for most things and I prefer ol' Eddie's.

Naturally, we get Maris Piper... ;)
The trouble with cats is that they've got no tact. - P. G. Wodehouse

Tâf

November 19, 2012, 18:34:01 pm #3 Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 18:35:20 pm by Tâf
I bought a large sack of Melody... and they're crap for chips.... hence me looking for this info.

Them Bartlett Reds are nice, though a bit pricey. So I use Desiree if I can find them.

fred

The old varieties have survived because they are very good.  Most of the new ones will be unavailable in a few years as they do not match up to either versatility or taste.


I'm of the opinion that it matters a lot for roasting ( boil for 20 min from cold, coat with hot goose fat and 190 deg oven for for 80 min.  Oven temp set for the roast.)
Gym?  Thought you said Gin.

Pam

One of my favourites is Desiree,my inlaws like Marfona.

dogsmum

Quote from: Lisa on November 19, 2012, 18:00:12 pm
I just do whatever I'm going to do with whatever spuds I have.
Can't afford to be fussy!


Same here
Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart
rather than a piece of our mind.

Nana of 8

We tend to get what ever is on offer, and use them for whatever they are best for.... but we do have favourites we buy occasionally.... eg, Anya/Pink Fir Apples for salads, Roosters for baking, and those Russian Blues (purely for shock value they are worth a laugh!)
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Ian

  The best potato?  Walkers Smokey Bacon flavour crisps, no question about it.
HPBG!

Tâf

I needed spuds today,a nd all ASDA had to offer at a reasonable price were Orla.... and I have no cooking info for that variety!

Ian

Quote from: Tâf on November 20, 2012, 14:51:05 pm
I needed spuds today,a nd all ASDA had to offer at a reasonable price were Orla.... and I have no cooking info for that variety!


  Stick 'em in some lightly salted, boiling water, and cook for twenty minutes.  You're welcome.
HPBG!

Nana of 8

Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Tâf

The problem this year has been overwet spuds again, They split if cooked with their skins on, or turn to mush, a tatseless mush. And as chips many remain hard. Many I have had have had blight marks, and a few have had slug damage. I've complained several times and have been reimbursed with no qualms as I think they know they are selling iffy spuds.

Tâf

"Sylvana" spuds from Tesco today, marked as "for all uses". I knew they were going to be difficult when I peeled them and they spat water. Then cutting them was like cutting swede... really tough little bu55ers!

I've cubed them into half-inch and dropped them into a casserole... we shall see what we see when it gets to the table later.

dogsmum

Quote from: Tâf on January 22, 2013, 16:25:53 pm
"Sylvana" spuds from Tesco today, marked as "for all uses". I knew they were going to be difficult when I peeled them and they spat water. Then cutting them was like cutting swede... really tough little bu55ers!

I've cubed them into half-inch and dropped them into a casserole... we shall see what we see when it gets to the table later.


Let us know what they were like so that we know if we need to avoid them
Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart
rather than a piece of our mind.