Author Topic: Contaminated Gas Supply  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Tāf

• Instigator of the Compost Holocaust
  • Resident Twaddler
  • Press 1 for Winter weather.....
Contaminated Gas Supply
« on: October 29, 2015, 15:21:08 PM »
I have beans simmering on the gas hob.

Well they should simmering at the lowest setting but they weren't. I've had to turn the flame up quite a bit.

I noticed an orange flame sometimes, a sign of Carbon Monoxide, but 2 windows are slightly open.

I checked the other burners, orange evident too. So I looked through the little flame window on the boiler... orange flames.

I called the gas company and then replied "There is a contamination problem in your area. We hope to clear it by mid November. Calorific values will be reduced until then".

"Will our gas bills reflect the lack of energy we are getting from the supply?" I asked.

"Doubtful, the calorific value is determined at the main supply points, not at local mains supplies".

:grumpy:

Offline Lisa

• Bug-fixer in chief
  • Admin
  • Twaddling Buddah
  • GAH!
    • Twaddle Hosting
Re: Contaminated Gas Supply
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 18:11:23 PM »
omg!!!
♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ For once in your lifetime will you, do what you want not what you have to. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Offline K@

• Rump.
  • Non Stop Talker
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 20:29:33 PM »
I have to say... I heartily agree with Corbyn, on this. Gas and leccy ought to be renationalised, along with the choochoos.
The trouble with cats is that they've got no tact. - P. G. Wodehouse

Offline El

• Flippin' Nutta
  • Hot Gossiper
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 20:56:06 PM »
And the buses. Three different bus companies to go to visit himself.
A weekly bus ticket for first bus...13 quid. That would be fantastic. BUT I can't use it on the next bus which is a Stagecoach company. 13.50p for a weekly bus ticket  only on their buses. Next buses is a Diamond bus ...13 quid per week only on their bus.
So. 4 times a week I buy a 5.20 any bus  :-\
oh well, only another 7 years  n I can have a free pass (should have been next year )  there again, if they didn't keep changing the goalposts,  I should have had my pension next year . Never mind, I'll survive on fresh air shall I? 

Offline K@

• Rump.
  • Non Stop Talker
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 09:20:30 AM »
We must be of a similar age, El. Every time you look forward to getting something, the buffers pull it back out of reach, again. I'm sure it's so that more of us die and, therefor, won't be claiming.

Makes me want to carry on, just to spite 'em.  :P

Offline El

• Flippin' Nutta
  • Hot Gossiper
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »
Yep so am I  ;D
Am bloody certain that the government allowed early release of pensions just so that A, they could kick a pile of people off benefits as what you saved for your old age becomes available now. Therefore no income support.
B, so that if you get ill health at middle age, you are forced to use your savings so that you cannot get benefits of any kind.
And if you own your own home, they will have that too if you need nursing care.
Arse wipes  ::)

Offline K@

• Rump.
  • Non Stop Talker
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 14:37:16 PM »
I'm considering getting hold of a solicitor, with political leanings. You see, may years ago, I took out an insurance policy. I paid so much a week, for the whole of my working life, and the agreement was, should I get ill, or disabled, the insurance would pay out, each week, to help me out. Of course, now that I need to claim, the people that I paid have refused to pay out.

Thing is, the organisation concerned is the government and their National Insurance scheme. It'd be interesting to see if I have a case, coz if I do, so will millions of others. :)

Offline El

• Flippin' Nutta
  • Hot Gossiper
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 16:01:30 PM »
Oh no! We use that same company  :-X the buggers use every dodge in the book to pay out  :(. We have been paying since leaving school, paid the maximum 40 years (plus 4 more)  so far. They even want another 7 years off us. Trouble is, we just can't pay that other 7 years as he is currently in hospital So can't work. Even though he worked with heart failure . Then that same company said that he could work. They said he should get a job in an office and would not pay.
I wonder what job this company will suggest for him now?  I think they will me to go to work.
Have not managed to get a penny out of them.

Offline Tāf

• Resident Twaddler
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 17:23:57 PM »
Carers get creditted N.I., not sure about people unable to work through disabilties.

But Carers Allowance stops at state retirement age.

Offline El

• Flippin' Nutta
  • Hot Gossiper
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 19:37:22 PM »
Of course  ::)
because the person you are looking after magically will not need care once you reach retirement age  ???
what happens then  ???

Offline Nana of 8

• Mother of some little breeders ;)
  • Non Stop Talker
  • Vaccinated with a Gramophone Needle
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 12:02:44 PM »
I'm wondering how my pension will pan out, given that I married HoN who is 42... I will be 84 before he gets a pension. If I live to see it. I'm expecting the goalposts to move because I'm 'being kept' by my husband who is in full time (NHS so rubbish money :-\ ) employment. Ah well it will be in 6.5 years time (thanks, MPs!  >:( ) so anything can (and will!) happen...  :-\
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Offline Tāf

• Resident Twaddler
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 13:15:58 PM »
Transco and British Gas engineers are going house-to-house as meter-readers spotted bypassed gas meters in the area. Two have been messing about with next doors' meter for about 30 minutes already. Not a bypass but something "unusual". ???

Offline Tāf

• Resident Twaddler
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 09:18:49 AM »
Got a letter today to say the supply is now "normal" and my bill will reflect the lower than usual calorific value.

Offline K@

• Rump.
  • Non Stop Talker
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 09:36:52 AM »
Not by much, I'll bet...