Author Topic: Building help please  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Nana of 8

• Mother of some little breeders ;)
  • Non Stop Talker
  • Appreciation 65428
  • Vaccinated with a Gramophone Needle
Building help please
« on: January 18, 2016, 11:36:40 AM »
HoN and I are having our kitchen re-instated. We are currently stuck with a large (8'4 by 13') dining room which used to be a bedroom until the numpty who sold the flat to us removed one wall and opened it up into the hallway, rendering it useless as a bedroom. The kitchen is currently 6'2 by 8'4 and so small we struggle to fit us both in it at once. So we plan to move the kitchen to the dining room and turn the kitchen into a bedroom.

Thing is, there is a cupboard between the two rooms, situated over the stairs which lead from the front door up to the flat. Currently, it opens into the dining room, and houses the washing machine. We plan to move the washing machine down into the garage next to the tumble drier (yes, I currently have to lug wet washing down the stairs to the drier!). Then we want to brick up the cupboard on the dining room side and open it out on the kitchen side, so the new bedroom has a built-in wardrobe (are you still following all this? ::) ). Then we can have an L-shaped kitchen installed in the corner where the door was (the only corner it can fit in as the other 3 corners are taken up with doors, windows and a radiator).

Now, the thing is, we've had some estimates already (just for the work to the cupboard) and they vary wildly from £800 (cash in hand!) to £1500 (did not say if VAT was included, will have to check this!) and £1000 plus VAT. Anyone able to tell me if this is normal, or if we're being ripped off somewhere? The walls are brick/block - no stud walls here! The flat was built in 1960. The price also includes re-siting the pipework and electrics.

We want to get started soon, as HoN can then get the floor down in the new kitchen-diner and we can see how much space we actually have.

Thanks  :-*
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Offline Tāf

• Instigator of the Compost Holocaust
  • Resident Twaddler
  • Appreciation 65315
  • Press 1 for Winter weather.....
Re: Building help please
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 16:47:57 PM »
Builders love interior work at this time of year, otherwise they are mostly laid off until Spring.

It sounds like you've got some good prices (beware the cash in hand one as if it all goes wrong you can't complain).

Resiting water, waste and electrics can be awkward and expensive as they have to employ a plumber and an electrician. It gets worse if you have gas pipes to resite (and also provide regulation ventilation for).

Then there are the Regs to consider, a right PITA to get permission and clearance. They normally demand proper building drawings that are 100% to code, or they will just bounce them.

And dust... you will have a lot of dust... and they won't work quietly whilst you sleep off nights.

Offline fred

• Is old for the day....
  • Global Mod
  • At One With Twaddle
  • Appreciation 8
  • Mr Greybeard.
    • cymrogwyllt
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 17:50:12 PM »
Tradesmen tend to charge by the half day in order to cover traveling time etc even if the time 'on the job' is minimal.  Strongly advise that you ask around and get local recomendations

btw  My kitchen is smaller than yours with only one wall with less than three foot thick stone built walls
I jumped off a bridge in Paris.

They told me I was in seine

Offline Nana of 8

• Non Stop Talker
  • Appreciation 65428
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »
Thanks guys.... HoN is having a think... we may get a couple more quotes and insist they are to include VAT and a warranty. Otherwise actually thinking of using the expensive one as he was the only one to notice that the back of the cupboard is not the wall to the kitchen, but there is another wall in between, and who knows what might be between them? He suggested pipes, but HoN has a gadget that checks for pipes and cables and it didn't bleep so he thinks it's clear. I think it's just because the cupboard would be too deep otherwise.
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Offline Nana of 8

• Non Stop Talker
  • Appreciation 65428
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 11:24:44 AM »
Update.... We decided to leave the cupboard in place and turn it into a feature walk in pantry. After all, the spare room isn't intended as a long-stay bedroom, only an overnighter, so not much storage needed in there, and it would be much better to have a pantry as we can then have fewer kitchen cupboards.

We've cleared out the dining room and sold a few bits of furniture. Next step is the floor - vinyl flooring going in - yes it's expensive, but it's waterproof and looks good - we had it in the last house. HoN will fit it himself over his Summer break, as long as he spends equal time on his dissertation!
Queen Ebayer