Author Topic: DWP et al  (Read 14503 times)

Offline Tāf

• Instigator of the Compost Holocaust
  • Resident Twaddler
  • Appreciation 65315
  • Press 1 for Winter weather.....
Re: DWP et al
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2019, 13:34:13 PM »
YOOHOO! Sense at last from the dreaded DWP!  ;D

And I know what you mean by the odd points awarded. I know 2 ladies who were marked down for washing, cooking and eating. They had enough other points for enhanced/enhanced, so let it go. At review the DWP knocked points off something else and they were below the points needed. They took it to Tribunal, and were told they should have contested the points given at the first award. But they argued that if they did, the DWP has a habit of dropping ALL the points due to them DARING to contest the award. The Tribunal said that the points should be recorded as maximum for washing, cooking and eating for the first award, and carried over to the review.

Offline El

• Flippin' Nutta
  • Hot Gossiper
  • Appreciation 4
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2019, 14:03:41 PM »
The only thing I can think of is his OT, brain trainer (not sure of her title) philips and nurses all know that we are pro active him doing activities.  They have watched him make toast with a motorised toaster, make tea with a tassimo and use Alexa.
I'm thinking that their reports have found their way to them. This only happens on a good day and involves me pushing his wheelchair to the table and watching him every step of the way.
But at least it is common sense. We will not need to badger people for reports or save every scrap of medical evidence.  As you know, the longer the illness or disability, the less chance you have of seeing consultants. At least those who have any influence in decisions.
He was always going to actually get pip. He really is that bad. It's no walk in the park in our house for sure. He qualifies in every single way. So why would anyone have him face assesment?  It would be madness. And money wasting.
I told him and he just said "I'll be dead before ten years is up". He really has no clue of the stress of it all. At least this spares him having to prove he is disabled. I hope this is the way forward for lots of cases. It's a much more caring and dignified way of dealing with assesment. 

Offline Tāf

• Resident Twaddler
  • Appreciation 65315
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2019, 16:04:41 PM »
Has he claimed ESA?

Offline El

• Flippin' Nutta
  • Hot Gossiper
  • Appreciation 4
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2019, 16:48:41 PM »
Yes. He's in the support group. We had to claim as he can't get state pension until 66. Have to say that they were brilliant.  I sent them all his information when he came out of hospital and then they asked a year later if he had improved. He stays on contribution based until he retires at pension age.

Offline Tāf

• Resident Twaddler
  • Appreciation 65315
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2019, 17:17:39 PM »
Let's hope that the rumoured ESA/PIP assessments don't go ahead. Quite a few people have been dragged out of the Support Group, especially if they claim UC (which has slightly different criteria of course, the twots).

Offline El

• Flippin' Nutta
  • Hot Gossiper
  • Appreciation 4
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2019, 18:47:32 PM »
We were very lucky in the sense that he worked from 15 - 59 so had full contributions. Also that we had a bit of savings so did not claim income based income support. I think that might have took us into UC. I hate that. It's been in our town for a good few years and is ruining people's lives. Mistakes with housing benefit  are putting people literally on the streets. Again, we are lucky that the house is very nearly ours.
I fear for my kids and grandchildren.  It's such an uncaring society.

Offline Tāf

• Resident Twaddler
  • Appreciation 65315
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2019, 19:30:21 PM »
It's such an uncaring society.

An uncaring government... both flavours.