Author Topic: Worth reading all of this.  (Read 1204 times)

Offline K@

• He's not Catweazle. He's a beautiful Princess!
  • Non Stop Talker
  • Appreciation 6
The trouble with cats is that they've got no tact. - P. G. Wodehouse

Offline Tāf

• Instigator of the Compost Holocaust
  • Resident Twaddler
  • Appreciation 65315
  • Press 1 for Winter weather.....
Re: Worth reading all of this.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 10:32:27 AM »
A ‘normal’ day for a GP is now 14-15 hours long, seeing over 50 patients a day

Ours start at 9am, finish at 11am. 12 patients max. Then the evening surgery is 5pm to 7pm, 8 patients max by appointment only. Home visits are done by the pooled on-call team in the afternoons and nights. But getting one to you is like getting blood from a stone.

Three GP's run 2 surgeries miles apart, and it's not our local one that gets 2 GP's at a time, despite having the largest population.

No weekends, and they close at 11am on Wednesdays. Clinics for Podiatry and wart removal were just stopped, and reappeared as a payable service. Bloods are taken once a week by a visiting phlebotomist. Flu jab sessions are usually 2 2-hour sessions. The Diabetic clinic is now an annual service only, with a visiting diabetes nurse. Blood pressure and cholesterol clinics are now annual, a week after seeing the phlebotomist. I've had 3 postponed by many weeks  recently.

Offline Lisa

• Bug-fixer in chief
  • Admin
  • Twaddling Buddah
  • Appreciation 20
  • GAH!
    • Twaddle Hosting
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 13:06:02 PM »
Don't forget all the ridiculous red tape and paperwork they have to do, plus the constant training and renewing their skills.
♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ For once in your lifetime will you, do what you want not what you have to. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Offline Tāf

• Instigator of the Compost Holocaust
  • Resident Twaddler
  • Appreciation 65315
  • Press 1 for Winter weather.....
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 14:07:44 PM »
Our original 3 GP's are long gone (age and health retirements). So in about 6 years we've had at least 10 staff changes. One of the 3 is a locum completing training. The practice used to give 24/7 support to an Old Folks Home opposite, a big (private) income. That place was demolished last year...

Offline El

• Flippin' Nutta
  • Hot Gossiper
  • Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:23:39 PM »
Although our gp only appears open 9-11 and 2.30-6, shut on Wednesday afternoon. 
I would give them as much money as could be thrown at them.
There is always a Dr on hand 24 hrs a day. There is 999 in absolute emergency.  Always, 24/7 we can phone for help. It worked superbly for us. I saw the sheer dedication of all concerned.
What I would do though, is reopen the walk in centres. For the people that need say antibiotics and cannot get to see a gp. Those people are clogging a&e .
Stop foreign aid until we have sorted our own problems out. More care in the community.  Not 15 minutes from a harassed carer, proper care. If a patient needs a bath, then allow time for it. It's not fair to choose between a meal and a wash.
and don't start me on old people who cannot go home from hospital because of lack of care  :-X

Offline K@

• He's not Catweazle. He's a beautiful Princess!
  • Non Stop Talker
  • Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 20:58:23 PM »
Ours opens at 08:00 and closes at 19:30, if they're lucky. They have doctors who only do a couple of days, whilst they do hospital work on the other days, or go to different practices. Some only do mornings. Some only do evenings. Some, certainly, do five full days, though, and they're always busy.

They referred to IDS as "Irritating Dickhead Syndrome"... :)
The trouble with cats is that they've got no tact. - P. G. Wodehouse

Offline Mike

• Lancashire Lad
  • Global Mod
  • At One With Twaddle
  • Appreciation 7
  • Superhero of Twaddle
    • Crows Nest
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 07:26:31 AM »
Complete contrast, my surgery opens 7.30am to 6.30 pm, 7.30 to 11.30 Sat, 9 doctors plus registrars, 3 nurses, two health assistants who take blood etc most I have ever waited is next day if you are willing to see any doctor