Author Topic: Insurance palava  (Read 1497 times)

Offline fred

• Is old for the day....
  • Global Mod
  • At One With Twaddle
  • Mr Greybeard.
    • cymrogwyllt
Insurance palava
« on: February 02, 2017, 17:35:02 PM »
Trying to get the car insurance swapped over to the new chariot.

Visited the broker I use four times and find it closed and not answering the phone.

Rang the insurer direct and thay were not very interested but passed me on to their main broker.

Main broker would only tell me that I was with XYZ and told me to contact him. 

I told main broker that the whole point was that I was unable to get in touch with XYZ. and I repeated why I needed contact

They told me that they would get in contact with him and get him to call me within 20 min.

One hour later I called main broker again and told them that if there was no progress pdq I would be taking my business elsewhere together with my house and contents insurances.

Within the hour they had a person at the local office who took my money  :'(  and issued me with an insurance cert.  Seems that the main broker kicked some asses.

A slightly annoying aside is that for the first time I can remember there is a time e.g. 3pm for the changeover rather than both cars covered for the day in question.  I have to make sure that I'm there well before the time and wait 'till after the time before departing
I jumped off a bridge in Paris.

They told me I was in seine

Offline Tāf

• Instigator of the Compost Holocaust
  • Resident Twaddler
  • Press 1 for Winter weather.....
Re: Insurance palava
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 18:29:31 PM »
Apart from in Belgium, I steered away from brokers as I found they were taking too big a cut. It meant visiting a few offices of the big companies, but I always got more cover for less. Then along came 0800 numbers and the internet....

Offline Nana of 8

• Mother of some little breeders ;)
  • Non Stop Talker
  • Vaccinated with a Gramophone Needle
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 22:40:55 PM »
We use comparison sites. They find good deals every time. Then I call the current company and ask if they can match it. Some do, some can't. But my  rates are low.
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Offline K@

• Rump.
  • Non Stop Talker
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 09:27:42 AM »
I tried comparison sites and got bombarded with Spam for ages.

Give RIAS a shout, Freddie. They did us proud, before we went Motability. Thank gawd we don't have to bother with all this crap, now.
The trouble with cats is that they've got no tact. - P. G. Wodehouse

Offline Tāf

• Instigator of the Compost Holocaust
  • Resident Twaddler
  • Press 1 for Winter weather.....
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 10:18:38 AM »
RIAS was good, then went a few quid too far. SAGA is best for me again. The insurance for people of a certain age.

Offline K@

• Rump.
  • Non Stop Talker
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 12:31:05 PM »
Tesco are good for the first year. Then, they raise the price a ridiculous amount. A common ploy, I believe.

Offline Nana of 8

• Mother of some little breeders ;)
  • Non Stop Talker
  • Vaccinated with a Gramophone Needle
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 13:47:49 PM »
Tesco are good for the first year. Then, they raise the price a ridiculous amount. A common ploy, I believe.
It's why we stick to the comparison sites. And I don't get spam, just a couple of emails from the ones I show an interest in. And we ALWAYS have legal cover too. Saved me thousands over the years, and avoids having to go to dodgy no win no free companies.
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Offline K@

• Rump.
  • Non Stop Talker
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 14:33:47 PM »
Yep, with the legal cover. As I said, though, with this Motability thing, all we have to fork our for, is go-juice. Everything else is included in the monthly fee.

Result!