News:

I live in my own little world... but its okay - they know me here.

Main Menu

Oi! Councils! Just how stupid are you?

Started by K@, May 12, 2018, 21:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K@

According to the news, tonight, they're having to pay 50-odd MILLION quid, to clear up fly-tipping.

Boy, is someone ripping them off, with that.

Anyway, as you charge such ludicrous amounts, to collect items for the rubbish which are too big for the bin, people who can't afford it are just dumping their crap.

If you dropped that charge, or even... er... binned it, think how much you'd save! 'course, the Tory-owned companies who clear the fly tips will lose out on their 50-odd million, but...

Are they really that idiotic?
The trouble with cats is that they've got no tact. - P. G. Wodehouse

Mike

Most fly rtipping is cleared by local councils not private compoanies and is done by lazy inconsiderate people, I reported a near neighbour , with a car, for dumping several amall items by the garages last week, they could all have easily fitted in their car to take to the tip

Tâf

Despite saying they would never do it, our council closed the local recycling centre where most excess rubbish could be dumped. And they introduced a £6.50 fee for each item they will collect that is not on a list of things they collect to make money out of.

And now they have set up a fly-tip investigation department that searches through the rubbish looking for "proof" of who it came from. But this "proof" is often gathered by the fly tippers from other waste so as to lay the blame elsewhere. So now you have to ensure you chuck nothing with your name, address or even email address on it.

Oh, and the head of this investigation department has a starting wage of £64k....

K@

Quote from: Mike on May 13, 2018, 07:36:47 AM
Most fly rtipping is cleared by local councils not private compoanies

Not so. They have contracts with companies, such as Amey, for that. Very few council depots around, now.

Ours even has the gall to charge an extra 35 quid, for them to empty the garden waste stuff, which Amey already make a hell of a profit from. Yes, Amey has Tory shareholders...

We still have our recycling centre and it's making them a pile of profit, too.

If this stuff wasn't contracted out, those profits would be being made by the council, to improve other things, like the pot holes. Funnily enough, Amey are responsible for those, too. No wonder so many, here, have off-roaders, like we do. They handle the holes better. There've been so many prangs, of late, due to those...

Tâf

The sudden change to half-size 120 litre black bins has meant many homes HAVE to find a way to get rid of anything in excess of that. The councils said it was to "increase recycling rates", but we all knew it was to reduce the Landfill Tax they have to pay.

And who brought in this tax? The Landfill Directive, more formally Council Directive 1999/31/EC of 26 April 1999 is a European Union directive.

And now that we recycle more, the money generated has drastically fallen as there is so much of it available. And now many councils are either selling at a loss, so have to increase the Poll Tax, or have decided to store the materials, again at cost to the tax payers.

And meanwhile, recycles materials have become more expensive that the original materials, for example recycled paper.

Plus China has now refused to accept our plastic waste, or at least at the price it is now.

El

I too think it's partly because of the slim bins. Businesses have built up with men and vans offering to take to recycle tips but a few bad apples have dumped it. So the council have sent letters making the owners of the rubbish responsible even though they have paid someone. Business has also built up offerer to empty slim bins on alternate weeks. The council have said no to this too. But their prices are extortionate per item for bulky goods.
There is also a breed of lazy,selfish people who just dump stuff. We are suffering from take away wrappings literally flung from cars onto some grass near here. But residents too literally walking past a bin and throwing empty wrappings off pizza and a bottle of coke on the pavement.  Their kids will do the same eventually.  With this kind of mentality it's a wonder we are not knee deep in rats.

Mike

In Coventry the council has just doubled the in house fly tipping teams, however whilst the selfish idiots like my near neighbour continue to get rid of the things that their kids have grown out off by just dumping it little will change, just hope they have spoken to them after I reported them last week

Lisa

I had to get my brother to take me to the local tip this weekend, as I had stuff to go, that they won't collect unless I pay £20 for 3 items....

It had all been waiting in my shed for months as I couldn't shift it... I'm not surprised people dump stuff.
I wish they wouldn't, but the cost is bonkers.

In 3 weeks time they have more than halved the amount of black bag waste we can throw out every fortnight.
they are asking for trouble.

I may have to pay for trade waste collection... 😠
♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ For once in your lifetime will you, do what you want not what you have to. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Tâf

Until a few years ago, the council used to put out skips in every area for a few days. It was still a chore for us as it was about 300 yards away, not fun dragging a mattress that far.

But commercial companies dumped all sorts into them including old tyres, oil and asbestos.

So they sent out an old refuse wagon to sit at a spot for several hours.

"Too expensive for manpower", even though it was manned by the driver who checked on what people wanted to dump.

A family opposite put out 4 plastic stacking garden chairs. refused as they weren't in green bags.

So they cut them up and put them in green bags.

Refused as they were "the wrong type of plastic".

K@

At least our council have given us a big grey (General waste) bin, after I 'phoned them and explained that, as neither of us can physically cook, now, we tend to get microwave meals (Healthy, huh>) and, as a result, have loads of crap packaging to get rid of.

Charging us forty quid for them to empty the green bin's a right con, as they make quite a profit out of those, anyway.

Poxy Tories...

Lisa

Not the tories kat.
whoever your local councillors are they have no choice on this. Yes some councils are trying to meet this target in different ways, but none are perfect.
♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ For once in your lifetime will you, do what you want not what you have to. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

K@

Labour kicked their botties, in Trafford, and things are already changing for the better. It'll take time, of course, as nobody is in complete control, even though Labour have a slim majority.

Thing is, as Jeremy Corbyn's been saying, this austerity nonsense is making things worse and worse. There needs to be investment, in order to get a return and simply giving all the finance to those who already wallow in cash really doesn't help the rest of us. Not that they want to help the rest of us, obviously.

Close this, to save money, put people out of work. Close that, to save money, put people out of work.

Thatcher closed almost everything and we're all suffering the consequences, now, with there being no jobs worth the name. I suspect your neck of the woods, along with the North East, suffered more than most and, of course, when they got the chance to kick the government in the chuffer, they took it and voted to leave the EU.

In that respect, it serves the buggers right, too.

Lisa

Been a labour safe seat here for years and it's a bloody shambles.
🤐

Bloody hate Chris Bryant.

Tâf

It's one unqualified councillor that has been backed up by Yes men that has been introducing all the new waste policies. He's cost the council MORE than they would have had to pay in EU fines over the past 4 years.

K@

Quote from: Lisa on May 22, 2018, 10:32:31 AM
Been a labour safe seat here for years and it's a bloody shambles.

Therein lies the problem. If they think they're safe, why should they work?

Trafford's been "safe" Tory for years (It's all WAGs with their Chelsea tractors and that sort, 'round 'ere). The shock might do them some good, though I doubt it...