• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 18:06:10 pm

News:

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity. 

X818 Oriana Central. Med

Started by Mike, September 16, 2018, 19:31:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Starting my usual cruise blog, I will be posting every 4 or 5 days whilst on the cruise. I'll do a post tomorrow whilst still on the hotel free wifi

Lisa

♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ For once in your lifetime will you, do what you want not what you have to. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Mike

Leaving the hotel in about 20 min then about  half a hour to the port, despite the disturbed night feeling a bit more with it after a shower. Probable first report after Barcelona Saturday.

Mike

Day 1
Arrived at the Mayflower at 12. 15 and straight to check in and then only had 20 minute wait before Caribbean were called to board and in Pacfic lounge before 1. Then I made my first mistake and had a glass of sparkling wine which knocked me out and I only just made lifeboat drill at 4pm after that back to the cabin to finally unpack. Didn't want much dinner but went along anyway to meet my table companions but managed a starter, soup and ice cream. Rough old night as we have hit the tale end of the ex hurricane that is about hit the North of Britain also clocks went forward an hour so less sleep.

Day 2 Sea Day
Relaxing day, morning spent in the Crows Nest as we had couple of showers but sat out by the pool in the afternoon. Manged a full meal this evening, as i did all day, a Marco Pierre White meal with Beef Wellington. Didn't do the show as I ha e seen them before a d had another early night. Ferrol tomorrow

Day 3 Ferrol

First port Ferrol in  North West Spain, felt well enough to get an early shuttle Ln to town, a few nice parks but starting to look run down with lots of empty shops a d the old town looking decidedly tatty. After a coupe of hours wandering around back to the ship for lu ch and an afternoon sitting in the pleasant sun, slight hiatus when leaving, the captain had just made her announcement when she came back on an announced we would have to evacuate a passenger to hospital and would be waiting for the ambulance, luckily it was pretty quick and we only left 45 minus late. Went to the pre dinner show by th4 piece group Inspiration a Burt Baccarat tribute and it was very good. Diner good again although they seem to using a lot of garlic. Then another early night still getting over this flaming cold. Another sea day tomorrow.

Day 4
As said a sea day, started off cloudy but the afternoon turned glorious and cloud free, so morning in the Crows Nest but afternoon by the pool, pink now. Captains welcome party in the evening and our wine water was doing drinks so our table got loads. Another good meal afterwards, then the bad news we are not going to Monaco due to overcrowding but to VillaFrance instead my second scheduled visit their that has been cancelled! I had a trip to Nice booked their and will find out later today the alternatives.
Day 5
Another sea day of doing  verry little. A respite before 5 port days. Only problem was I caught a bit to much sun and felt decidedly groggy this evening, watched the musical comedian Berni Fint this evening good clean a d funny. Barcelona tomorrow where I am going to Montserrat, one of the later trips at 1p.00pm. Now booked to go to Antibes instead of Nice, still ir's saved me about £12. 

Day 6 Barcelona
Well what can you say about Montserrat? I'm afraid my comment is not going to be to complimentary, it was OK  but yet another church tourist trap, the 8 car funicular was packed to overflowing making it difficult to get photo's, I managed a few but not easy when you are standing trying to keep your Balance, when we got to the monastery and Basilica it was packed and full of tourist tat, views were fantastic but I didn't think that made up for the seemingly overwhelming desire to fleece the tourists of their money. Didn't help by the fact we had a guide without a off switch. Still the pizza in Al Frecscl when back onboard at 3pm was OK. Headliners show tonight as we have new guest artists joining today.
Next report after Rome which will include 4 ports. Late leaving as bunkering was late, but it is only a short hop tonight

Tâf

Berni Flint? Is he still about? I still remember "I Don't Want To Put A Hold On You".

Mike

El

I've always wanted to go to Rome. My brother has been many times.
Sounds great Mike

Mike

Done Rome  before, this time I'm going outside Rome to Roman remains that nearly match Pompei and Herculaneum

Mike

Day 7 Ciudadela, Minorca
Been here before so just an hour and a half wonder round, very hot 28c so that was plenty, back on ship for lunch and sitting in the shade now, classical pair before dinner tonight and then a musical entertainer afterwards. Corsica tomorrow but the report will be after Rome unless I get free WiFi.

Mike

September 26, 2018, 18:26:07 pm #9 Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 16:47:41 pm by Mike
Day 8 Ajaccio Sardinia
Another tender port, except it was a lot chopper took ages to fill the tender, Ajaccio is a fairly typical French provincial town but with 3 ships in it was chaos and the traffic was a nightmare, only took about 2 hours to wander around it and then back to the ship luckily on a local large catamaran which was a lot more stable. Rest of the day spent sitting around the pool. A vent tonight and as I don't particularly like them not bothering to go. Forecast for tonight is very choppy as we go between Corsica and Sardinia and at least we are docking tomorrow.

Day 9 not Olbia Sardinia
Unfortunately woke up to 40mph winds and heavy rains with the port shut, we waited around a bit but even though rhe port reopened only one ship at a time was allowed in and their were 4 ferries in front of us, it was decided it was to risky for us as we only had 1 metre of water under us to the Dock, so we left and have reached Civitavecchia at 3pm where we we have docked at a commercial Quay, we will be moving to tomorrow's birth at 8pm. The tours department have organised a Rome on your own evening but I'm not doing that. Headliners are in the Pacific lounge before dinner which I will make, guest artists Indigo Blue in theatre after dinner, but I have seen the before. Tomorrow going to Roman remains and I'll post this when back.

Day 10 Citavechia
Better weather today sunny but still a bit windy. As said an afternoon trip to Ostia Anticus Roman remains, they are an incredible site, in 2 hours of walking around we just touched the major parts, well worth the visit, arrived back a bit late last on board 630 and we arrived back at 6.40. No early show as I will still be in the shower. Sea day tomorrow so you may see a few posts.

Mike

September 27, 2018, 16:47:57 pm #10 Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 16:49:09 pm by Mike
Day 11
A quiet day at sea just lazing on a sun bed by the Crystal Pool, Glenn Miller tribute before dinner but I'll give the vent another miss after. Santa Margarita tomorrow, another tender, and home to the Margarita Pizza, just another wonder around. Next Post after Gib.

Lisa

♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ For once in your lifetime will you, do what you want not what you have to. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Mike

October 02, 2018, 17:07:44 pm #12 Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 15:22:58 pm by Mike
Hot and sunny again
Small Italian resort mostly catering for the Italians another tender port nd I got on the second tender, walked all the ay to one end in 19 minds and then back to the Villa Douro Park, I knew it was hilly but not as hilly as it was, I was shattered when I got to the top. But a good excuse for a proper Italian Cappuccino rather good, but didn't go in to the house as I thought 5.50 euro a bit steep for a small house but had a wonder in the pleasant garden before making my way down again which was a lot easier. Back to the ship for lunch. Evening went to female duo Indigo May who sing a mixture of classical and other songs, very good.

Day 13 Villafrance
Another hot and sunny day
Trip to Antibes today, yet another tender port, our 4th!, took ages to get ashore over half a hour in the tender. A tribes, what can I say? was looking forward to Old Antibes but came away rather disappointed market was OK a typical French provincial market but the rest of the old town was more or less continuous bars rather ruining the character of the place. Back to the ship at 2.30 for a quick lunch before reading on deck before we left. Inspiration again to night with female Icons of the sixties. Sea day tomorrow.

Day 14
At sea seemed as if it would be a quiet day, but we has to divert towards Majorca for an emergency medical evacuation this morning, a boat came out to meet us, this was our 10th so far this cruise, but we should still arrive on time In Almeria tomorrow. Got my disembarkation time booked for 9.15 Friday. Comedian Jeff Stevenson tonight. Trip booked for tomorrow with an early start.

Day 15 Almeria
Weather mixed but hot, sunny start, few spots of rain and cloudy finished with sun. Trip to Mojaca an ex Moorish town built on the top of a hill, nice old whitewashed town with lots of hard walking up and down hills with fantastic  views, journey back was via the old road through the area they make movies, including The Good the Bad and the Ugly and Fistful of Dollars and many other films. Back to the ship for 2pm and a late lunch and a few hours sitting around the pool. Killer Queen in the lounge tonight.

Day 16 Gibraltar
Cloudy start then hot and sunny bot the rock stayed cloud covered. Docked next to Ventra today who left just before us to be replaced by MSC Majica. Didn't actually do anything as I have been here so often apart from look at the duty free shop, but didn't, buy anything.  BBQ on deck lunch today and we have the Portunus club drinks reception tonight. Tomorrow is the first of the last two sea days with the Portunus lunch

Lisa

Think my cousin has just done a cruise round the med. But he went to Gibraltar first

Tâf

Mates of mine (who live in Spain) are on a cruise up the west coast of the USA and Canada... eating loads of sweets and cakes.