• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 17:48:42 pm

News:

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.

Sticky, crumbling boot treads

Started by Tâf, January 23, 2019, 16:24:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tâf

That's the second pair of expensive boots (which I've hardly ever worn) that have had the treads turning into a sticky mess that disintegrated in minutes in use.

It's all down to not wearing them enough according to manufacturers.

The moulded Polyurethane (PU) treads absorb moisture, even when stored, through hydrolysis. This breaks molecular bonds and they fall apart.

"Wearing them occasionally will squeeze out excess moisture" said one manufacturer.

:grumpy:

El

That's crazy.
I wear Hunter boots when I take her on the fields and they last about four years. Or they used to, the price has stayed the same but they need replacing every few years now. At £75-£125 it's a big outlay. Great waterproof boots but absolutely rubbish on anything slippy including mud. I'd be safer on ice skates. I've bought cheaper ones in the past but they aren't waterproof after a month or so.
So have invested in snow boots. Great on frost, snow and ice but my feet get wet through as the rubber is only half an inch up from the sole. At £100 on sale, I want a boot that keeps me warm AND dry.
Bloody hell.  We live in the UK, it's wet and cold and frosty and snowy with bits of mud. I'm not interested in fashion when I take her out, I want the boot to work .

fred

I wear sandals 365/365.  Feet are easy to wash if needed and if they accidentally get wet feet dry quicker than shoes or socks.
Gym?  Thought you said Gin.

Tâf

And vendors don't have to declare that the soles are PU. Neither do they have to be marked. But they do have to mark what materials the rest of the footwear is made of.

QuoteThe labelling must describe the materials of the three main parts of the footwear (the upper, the lining and sock, and the outer sole). For each of these, tour label must indicate whether the material is "leather", "coated leather", " textile" or "other". You can provide this information in words or by using symbols.

EU Directive 94/11/