• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 08:54:31 am

News:

Sarcasm is just one of the services that we offer.

Insulation escaping.

Started by Lisa, January 26, 2020, 10:06:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa

We have a problem with cavity wall insulation coming out of the soffit at the front of the house.

We had new windows fitted in August with Everest, and there are numerous complications with one of the units, which left some of the cavity exposed for 5 months.
We previously thought this is how the insulation was coming out. Wind blowing into the cavity, swirling it up and it gathering in the soffit.

Anyway, that unit was sealed off 2 weeks ago, still faulty but that's another story. Don't use everest!

but this morning I got up to insulation over the garden again.

Now it could be what is already in the soffit coming down..

Or it could be another issue all together.

I honestly don't know whet to do
♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ For once in your lifetime will you, do what you want not what you have to. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Tâf

I bet it's sat on the soffit just waiting for a draught.

Vacuuming it off there would not be fun, neither would capping the cavity on the interior. It may need a top-up before capping too.  :-\

Lisa

Not topping it up.. I want it gone. We have damp issues in the kitchen, which is on our fable wall... And really gets the weather.

I'm hoping it's just full from where we had that gap... But we cant get to it
♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ For once in your lifetime will you, do what you want not what you have to. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Tâf

It can be removed by suction from the top, but it can be expensive. Then it should be replaced by something like rockwool. But some types of wall can't have that as there might not be a vapour barrier sheet fitted incorrectly.

Our walls have internal vapour barrier sheets (i.e against the inner thermal bricks, not against the external bricks), so rockwool could be blown in via holes in the exterior brick.

Next door however, rebuilt at the same time as ours, has the no vapour barrier sheeting (different group of builders), so they couldn't have rockwool. Self-expanding foam was too expensive for free fitting, so polystyrene beads were used. But at the new standard: injected with a glue that set after time fixing them into a solid mass.

A few houses of our design were more exposed to driving rain, so the exterior bricks were spray-coated with a clear waterproofing agent. But after the walls were washed down to remove all salt deposits leeching out of the mortar.