News:

"I am going to cast the shards of my life into a simple box and shake this ring's foul sawdust from my feet." - Nellie the Eloquent.

Main Menu

The Potting Shed

Started by Tâf, August 09, 2011, 11:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tâf

Such a pretty baby that produces such a dull male and poor female.

Our garden is still full of Mint Moths.

I have a large pot near the compost heap that I grow early rhubarb and horseradish in. I vaguely remember putting a spud in it last year, so just had a look and found 2kg of good-sized King Edwards hiding in the soil.

It seems we are in for a glut of toms, went to pick the 4 I saw had ripened and found 20+ that are now almost ready too. And 3 cucumbers.

Tâf

50 Freesia and 35 Acidanthera planted out front. A bit late, but total cost was only 75p.

Tâf

Loads of Sweet Williams, Sunflowers and Oriental Poppies planted out.

Picked the first cucumber that was hiding and trying to become a vertical marrow.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nana of 8

We have 2 tomato plants in the garden, self-seeded from last year's crop.

One plant is growing in the flower border and I had just let it grow naturally. Last month I decided that was enough growth and pinched out the tips. It helped the tomatoes on it no end, and they are now just starting to turn red. They are cherry toms and so far there are 178 on it (unless I missed any)!!  :D

The other is in a more sheltered spot in a growbag, as I found it next to the other one and moved it to make space. So far it has 66 toms, all green, but I'm growing it normally, up a cane, so there are new ones forming at the top.
Queen Ebayer

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Tâf

Mowed and reseeded the lawn. It's looking OK after the scalping.

Tâf

Switching to tomato feed has done the trick in forcing the 2 Goji bushes to flower en masse.

Ian

Quote from: Tâf on August 16, 2014, 17:50:19 PM
Loads of Sweet Williams, Sunflowers and Oriental Poppies planted out.

Picked the first cucumber that was hiding and trying to become a vertical marrow.

Does it weigh half a pound?  :giggle:
HPBG!

Tâf

A touch more than that

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tâf

120 onion sets that had been growing nicely have been decimated by slugs. :grumpy:

Tâf

I was given loads of Freesia corms and shallot bulbs by a neighbour who had forgotten to plant them. To stop them drying-out I have potted them in well-drained compost in the greenhouse.

He also gave me some Lily of the Valley rhizomes, so they are soaking before planting in a big pot together in the greenhouse as they hate being cold and wet at the same time.

dogsmum

Quote from: Tâf on August 26, 2014, 15:22:37 PM
120 onion sets that had been growing nicely have been decimated by slugs. :grumpy:

There's a lot of the damned things about  >:(
Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart
rather than a piece of our mind.

Tâf

Quote from: dogsmum on August 26, 2014, 21:27:26 PM
Quote from: Tâf on August 26, 2014, 15:22:37 PM

There's a lot of the damned things about  >:(

Either the weather is favouring them or someone is breeding them. It's not the usual Keel slugs either, loads of Leopards and white ones.

Tâf

Mowed and weeded the lawn, picked cucumbers and tomatoes.

Tâf

Removed all the 3 year old strawberry plants and am about to change most of the soil in the their containers and add fresh runners.

I've left the last of the runner beans to run to seed so that I have fat beans to eat.

The grapevines are losing leaves before the grapes have ripened :grumpy:

Tâf

A mate of a allotment-holder came over to look at my twin cherry and twin apple trees as they have been "poorly" since I planted them a few years ago.

He knew where I had bought them as he has seen the problem several times in his career as a tree surgeon. Diseased rootstocks from China eventually kill the whole tree off. He cut a branch after telling me what he expected to see, and he was right.... dark brown staining.

The whole lot has to be cut down and burned.... "great for BBQ fires" he told me.

:-\